Location: Our office base is on High Holborn, Central London but we are currently homeworking due to COVID-19. Thereafter we plan to move to a Hybrid way of working.
Salary: Competitive plus benefits.
Type of contract: Permanent.
Hours: Full-time, with possibility to discuss flexible working patterns
Start date: We would like to organise a handover period with our current Data Protection Officer so plan for their replacement to start as soon as possible.
About the Intensive Care National Audit & Research Centre (ICNARC)
The Intensive Care National Audit & Research Centre (ICNARC) is a small, independent, nationally and internationally respected, scientific, not-for-profit organisation (c45 staff in total), that uses accurate data to help improve the quality of critical care through audit, research and education, conducted with, and in the interests of, patients and those who care for them. Most recently, ICNARC has been centrally involved in the response to COVID-19 through daily/weekly reporting on admissions to, and outcomes from, intensive care and as the UK coordinating centre for the global platform trial, REMAP-CAP.
About the role
This is an exciting opportunity to make a significant contribution to the success of ICNARC. Working closely with the Audit, Research and Stats team and reporting directly to the Head of Operations, this standalone role is responsible for ensuring that ICNARC data processing activities are compliant with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
What you are responsible for
- Operational leadership of activities related to Data Protection
- Creating and regularly reviewing data-related policies and standards to ensure effective implementation of Information Governance practices across ICNARC
- Identifying, reviewing and evaluating existing data management procedures and implementing new procedures within ICNARC to embed adherence to GDPR standards
- Providing advice and instructions, to ICNARC team members, on how to conduct Data Protection Impact Assessments (DPIAs) and embedding best practice across ICNARC teams
- Providing day to day privacy advice and acting as a single point of contact for privacy issues
- Managing any data privacy breaches, working to identify root causes, mitigate risks and prevent reoccurrence
- Ensuring that ICNARC address all queries from data subjects within legal timeframes
- Building and managing relationships with internal and external stakeholders, including data regulators and auditors
- Delivering GDPR and any other relevant data protection training to ICNARC staff to increase awareness of data protection measures
- Liaising with other organisations that process data on ICNARC’s behalf
- Managing ICNARC’s DPO inbox, responding to, and managing, data subject rights requests.
What you’ll need to succeed
To be successful in this role, you will be a confident and knowledgeable Data Protection Officer who has in depth knowledge of the GDPR and UK data protection laws and have demonstrated experience in a similar role. You will have knowledge of data processing operations and be familiar with computer security systems. You will be ethical, with the ability to remain impartial and report all non-compliance and have strong technical skills and ability to find solutions and assess risk.
Due to the standalone nature of the role, you will be appreciative of the opportunity to work autonomously, but able to work within a team and build strong, lasting relationships internally and externally
It is desirable that you have experience of the health sector, the nature of its data processing activities and have knowledge of the National Data Guardian’s (NDG) data security standards.
A CIPP/E/M Certificate is desirable, though not essential.
What you’ll get in return
In addition to a competitive salary you will also have access to a benefits package including:
- 25 days holiday per year; interest-free season ticket loan; enhanced pension scheme;
- enhanced sick pay; employee assistance programme;
- access to a range of benefits and discounts focused on Health & Wellbeing, Family, Technology and Exercise & Fitness;
- support with further academic/professional development.
How to apply
For further information and to apply, please click on the link: https://icnarc.livevacancies.co.uk/#/job/details/17
To access a PDF version of the job description please click here:
Data Protection Officer Job Description PDF
Interviews will be held on a rolling basis, please note the advert will be closed early if an appointment is made therefore please do not delay in applying.
“We are committed to equality of opportunity for all staff and applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships.”